Volunteer Project Liaison – Dixie National Forest (Cedar)
Position Type: Volunteer Project Liaison (February 2018 – August 2018; up to 20 hours/week during the semester and 40 hours/week in the summer)
Location: Dixie National Forest Cedar City Ranger District
The purpose of this position is to work with community organizations to coordinate volunteer projects to meet management objectives for the Dixie National Forest in response to the Brianhead Fire. This will be accomplished by working with and coordinating efforts from local governments, community organizations, and Dixie National Forest staff. This is a new position, so establishing protocols and processes for effective coordination will be necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Survey Dixie National Forest Staff to assess project needs that can be accomplished by volunteer groups.
- Reach out to volunteer groups in the community
- Plan projects accounting for logistics, risk management, resources, transportation, and needs.
- Ensure proper communication and cooperation within the Dixie National Forest and with volunteer groups.
- Stays current with agency trends, policies, and initiatives that may impact or influence the initiative’s work.
- Reports to the OEC Director. And other duties as assigned to further the Initiative’s goals.
- In a master’s degree program (e.g. MPA) or an advanced undergraduate student
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and Solid verbal communications skills (sample proposal in application)
- Strong understanding of public lands and volunteerism missions, goals, and initiatives
- Project management skills: planning, budgeting, implementing, and assessing projects.
- Supervision and mentoring experience, at least one year.
- Project management experience: At least one year experience managing projects in a professional setting
- Experience with managing risks for a program
- Experience working with a partnership approach to accomplishing goals
ALL IIC INTERNSHIPS ARE REQUIRED TO BE TIED TO THE EARNING OF AN ACADEMIC CREDIT. Credits can be EDGE projects, departmental internships, cooperative education, practicums, assignments, research, etc.
- Go to iicinternships.com
- Click on the IIC Application on the right hand side. This will download a word document of the IIC Internship Application.
- Fill in the application (this can be done on your computer).
- Save application and email it to Del Orme at firstname.lastname@example.org in the subject line put IIC INTERNSHIP APPLICATION You can also print your application and bring it to Miranda Gubler at the IIC offices.
Submit IIC application, resume, transcripts, and statement of interest. Applications must be received by 2/11/2018
NAME: Del Orme, Recreation Staff, Cedar City Ranger District
PHONE NUMBER: 435-865-3230