Petroleum Engineer – BLM Direct – Silt, CO
Position Type: BLM Direct Hire (DHA) 11 week internship
Open until: February 28, 2018
Location: Silt, CO Colorado River Valley Field Office
Start Date: June 3, 2018
End Date: August 18, 2018
Related Degrees: BS or MS – Engineering Field
Position Description: The Petroleum Engineering positions in the northwestern region of Colorado have experienced repeated turnover. One solution for buffering against this constant cycle of recruitment/training is to zone the positions located in Meeker and Silt to cover six field offices. Currently, three positions cover half of the offices (centered in Silt) and two cover the other half (centered in Meeker). When one person is lost, it equates to an elimination of 33-50% of the work capacity in each of the offices. This project would focus on researching and preparing a proposal that outlines the transition and end state for shifting to this new model, along with identification of any logistical challenges or unintended consequences. The intern would also gain a working knowledge of the PE workload within each office in order to gain a detailed understanding of the current work processes and assignment structure.
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the project.
- Be a U.S. citizen (by birth or naturalization) or a U.S. legal permanent resident (a “green card” holder).
- Be enrolled in a related post-secondary educational program at an accredited institution of higher education, OR, have completed a post-secondary educational program at an accredited institution of higher education less than two years prior to the anticipated date by which the DHA would be used for obtaining federal employment. [Ideally, a candidate who has already completed their higher education studies would use the DHA to obtain federal employment immediately or shortly after the completion of the 11-week internship.]
- Meet the related skills/experience if listed for the specific opportunity to which one is applying.
- Be available for 11 weeks of continuous service.
- Be willing to fulfill all reporting requirements (bi-weekly reporting, final reporting, and follow-up reporting in the months after completing the program).
- Be willing to submit to a government security background clearance process.
- Have a strong interest in a career with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Submit a cover letter, resume, transcript(s) (unofficial are acceptable), and a letter of reference from a professional or educator to the contact below. Applications must be received by February 28, 2018. In your cover letter, please succinctly address why you are interested in the position, what skills and experience you have to offer, and your future career goals.
- The IIC Internship Application can be found on the IIC website: iicinternships.com underneath the apply today tab. Click on the PDF application and download the application file to your computer. DO NOT open it in your browser to edit. Open in Adobe Acrobat to edit.
- Email cover letter, resume, transcripts (unofficial), and the IIC Internship Application to the IIC Direct Hire Review Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications accepted until February 28.