Outdoor Recreation Planner – BLM Direct – Ukiah, CA
Position Type: BLM Direct Hire (DHA) 11 week internship
Open until: March 14, 2018
Location: Ukiah, CA
Start Date: June 3, 2018
End Date: August 18, 2018
Related Degrees: Recreation Management, Biological Sciences, Natural Resource Management, Backcountry Range
Position Description: The Bureau of Land Management Ukiah Field Office seeks Direct Hire Authority (DHA) interns to develop and complete the Visual Resource Management (VRM) inventories and assessment for lands within the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument (Berryessa Monument). Information included in this assessment will assist the BLM in developing a management plan for the Berryessa Monument. The assessment will also be used for future management planning decisions, such as the locations of visitor information and use facilities. The intern would have nearly complete autonomy with guidance by the Monument Manager and gain experience in recreation management and reporting.
In addition to developing completing the inventories and assessment, the DHA internships will provide the interns experience that will prepare them for a career in outdoor recreation. Interaction with other staff such as the GIS Specialist, Wildlife Realty Specialist, Outdoor Recreation Planner, and Archaeologist will help broaden exposure to multiple BLM programs.
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the project.
- Be a U.S. citizen (by birth or naturalization) or a U.S. legal permanent resident (a “green card” holder).
- Be enrolled in a related post-secondary educational program at an accredited institution of higher education, OR, have completed a post-secondary educational program at an accredited institution of higher education less than two years prior to the anticipated date by which the DHA would be used for obtaining federal employment. [Ideally, a candidate who has already completed their higher education studies would use the DHA to obtain federal employment immediately or shortly after the completion of the 11-week internship.]
- Meet the related skills/experience if listed for the specific opportunity to which one is applying.
- Be available for 11 weeks of continuous service.
- Be willing to fulfill all reporting requirements (bi-weekly reporting, final reporting, and follow-up reporting in the months after completing the program).
- Be willing to submit to a government security background clearance process.
- Have a strong interest in a career with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Submit a cover letter, resume, transcript(s) (unofficial are acceptable), and a letter of reference from a professional or educator to the contact below. Applications must be received by February 28, 2018. In your cover letter, please succinctly address why you are interested in the position, what skills and experience you have to offer, and your future career goals.
- The IIC Internship Application can be found on the IIC website: iicinternships.com underneath the apply today tab. Click on the PDF application and download the application file to your computer. DO NOT open it in your browser to edit. Open in Adobe Acrobat to edit.
- Email cover letter, resume, transcripts (unofficial), and the IIC Internship Application to the IIC Direct Hire Review Team at: email@example.com.
- Applications accepted until February 28.