Land Surveyor/Survey Technician – BLM Direct – Montrose, CO
Position Type: BLM Direct Hire (DHA) 11 week internship for Cadastral Survey
Open until: February 28, 2018
Location: Montrose, CO – Uncompahgre Field Office
Start Date: June 3, 2018
End Date: August 18, 2018
Related degrees: GIS, Geomatics, or Land Surveying
Position Description: Boundary surveys are necessary for the management of the Dominquez-Escalante (DE) NCA and Dominquez Canyon Wilderness. Fundamental to the management of these lands is to know with certainty the location of the boundary. A Direct Hire Authority (DHA) would allow five miles of these boundaries to be marked and posted. In addition, a boundary description of the NCA and Wilderness Area could be completed.
The project goal is to complete five miles of boundary surveys and the legal description of the NCA and wilderness area. At the end of 11 weeks, the Cadastral Survey Intern(s) will be able to demonstrate proficiency in
- Writing legal descriptions and corner descriptions
- Conducting boundary surveys
- The use of AutoCad and ArcMap
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the project.
- Be a U.S. citizen (by birth or naturalization) or a U.S. legal permanent resident (a “green card” holder).
- Be enrolled in a related post-secondary educational program at an accredited institution of higher education, OR, have completed a post-secondary educational program at an accredited institution of higher education less than two years prior to the anticipated date by which the DHA would be used for obtaining federal employment. [Ideally, a candidate who has already completed their higher education studies would use the DHA to obtain federal employment immediately or shortly after the completion of the 11-week internship.]
- Meet the related skills/experience if listed for the specific opportunity to which one is applying.
- Be available for 11 weeks of continuous service.
- Be willing to fulfill all reporting requirements (bi-weekly reporting, final reporting, and follow-up reporting in the months after completing the program).
- Be willing to submit to a government security background clearance process.
- Have a strong interest in a career with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
- Submit a cover letter, resume, transcript(s) (unofficial are acceptable), and a letter of reference from a professional or educator to the contact below. Applications must be received by February 28, 2018. In your cover letter, please succinctly address why you are interested in the position, what skills and experience you have to offer, and your future career goals.
- The IIC Internship Application can be found on the IIC website: iicinternships.com underneath the apply today tab. Click on the PDF application and download the application file to your computer. DO NOT open it in your browser to edit. Open in Adobe Acrobat to edit.
- Email cover letter, resume, transcripts (unofficial), and the IIC Internship Application to the IIC Direct Hire Review Team at: email@example.com.
- Applications accepted until February 28.