IIC Trails Specialist Crew Leader Internship – Cedar City
Open Until: March 1st, 2018
Hours: 40 Hrs/Week
Agencies: United States Forest Service (USFS)
Locations: Cedar City & Surrounding Area
Overview: The Intergovernmental Internship Cooperative (IIC) is a federally grant funded partnership between Southern Utah University (SUU) and local public land management agencies. As a trails specialist crew leader, your primary responsibility will be leading a group of high school aged youth on a variety of recreation projects throughout the summer. Focus will be on trail maintenance and construction throughout the Iron County area as well as reestablishing trails destructed by the Brian Head fire. Crew work will be carried out in an outdoor setting in many different environments and elements. Through this experiential learning internship, students develop a connection to place, become engaged citizens of their community, and stewards of the land.
Dates: May 8th 2018– August 16th 2018 Schedule: Monday–Thursday, 10 Hrs/Day, 7am-5pm
Training: May 8th-25th 2018 (paid) Holidays: May 28th, July 4th, 5th & 24th 2018 (not paid)
- Coordinate projects and logistics with crew, IIC staff and public land managers.
- Manage all operations of specific crew efficiently and independently.
- Ensure proper clothing, equipment, essentials, and tools are brought daily.
- Maintain program structure and ensure goals and risk management procedures are met.
- Create a fun and meaningful learning/work experience for youth members.
- Communicate tasks clearly and effectively in both oral and written manner.
- Adhere to all rules and regulations as stated in the IIC Intern Guidebook.
- Maintain daily log and photo documentation of crew, projects, and work completed.
- Complete in good standing a paid three-week field training period working alongside fellow crew leaders and land managers.
- Must be at least 21 years or older and possess valid driver’s license.
- Crew leaders should have solid outdoor leadership skills, teaching ability, a vigorous work ethic, outdoor/natural resource experience, a positive attitude, maturity, and flexibility.
- Have a clean record and able to pass a background check.
- Preference given to candidates with Wilderness First Aid cert. (or greater), Leave No Trace training, chainsaw certification (S212) and prior trails and recreation experience.
- Go to: http://iicinternships.com.
- Click on “Apply Today” then download and fill in application.
- Email application, cover letter, and resume to: Danny Strand – IIC Crew Manager
Danny Strand * firstname.lastname@example.org * (435) 586-1982