IIC Assistant Crew Leader Internship – Various Locations
Open Until: March 1st, 2018
Hours: 40 Hrs/Week
Agencies: United States Forest Service (USFS) & National Park Service (NPS)
Locations: (USFS) St George, Cedar City, Panguitch, Escalante, Fredonia / (NPS) Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, Pipe Spring / (BLM) Kanab (***please state desired location in application)
Overview: The Intergovernmental Internship Cooperative (IIC) is a federally grant funded partnership between Southern Utah University (SUU) and local public land management agencies. As an Assistant Crew Leader, your primary responsibility will be leading a group of high school aged youth on a variety of projects throughout the summer in areas such as recreation, wildlife, re-vegetation, facilities, and much more. Conservation crew work will be carried out in outdoor settings in many different environments. Through this experiential learning internship, students develop a connection to place, become engaged citizens of their community, and stewards of the land.
Dates: May 8th 2018– August 16th 2018 Schedule: Monday–Thursday, 10 Hrs/Day, 7am-5pm
Training: May 8th-25th 2018 (paid) Holidays: May 28th, July 4th, 5th & 24th 2018 (not paid)
- Must be able to fill in at other locations when needed (travel reimbursed + hours)
- Assist in coordinating projects and logistics with crew, IIC staff and public land managers.
- Help ensure proper clothing, equipment, essentials, and tools are brought daily.
- Manage operations of crew efficiently and independently when Crew Leader is unavailable.
- Create a fun and meaningful learning/work experience for youth members.
- Maintain structure and ensure program goals and risk management procedures are met.
- Adhere to all rules and regulations as stated in the IIC Intern Guidebook.
- Maintain daily log and photo documentation of projects, and work completed when needed.
- Complete in good standing a paid three-week field training period working alongside fellow crew leaders and land managers.
- Must be at least 21 years or older and possess valid driver’s license.
- Crew leaders should have solid outdoor leadership skills, teaching ability, a vigorous work ethic, outdoor/natural resource experience, a positive attitude, maturity, and flexibility.
- Have a clean record and able to pass a background check.
- Preference given to candidates with Wilderness First Aid cert. (or greater), Leave No Trace training, chainsaw cert. and prior conservation or land management crew experience.
- Go to: http://iicinternships.com.
- Click on “Apply Today” then download and fill in application.
- Email application, cover letter, and resume to: Danny Strand – IIC Crew Manager
Danny Strand * email@example.com * (435) 586-1982