Crew Leader – USFS – Escalante
Open Until: Filled
Hours: 40 Hrs/Week
Agencies: United States Forest Service – Dixie National Forest
Locations: Escalante Ranger District – Escalante, Utah
Description: The Intergovernmental Internship Cooperative (IIC) is a federally grant funded partnership between Southern Utah University (SUU) and local public land management agencies. As a crew leader, your primary responsibility will be leading a group of high school aged youth on a variety of projects throughout the summer in areas such as recreation, wildlife, re-vegetation, restoration, facilities, and much more. Conservation crew work will be carried out in outdoor settings in many different environments. Through this experiential learning internship, students develop a connection to place, become engaged citizens of their community, and stewards of the land.
Dates: May 8th 2018– August 16th 2018 Schedule: Monday–Thursday, 10 Hrs/Day, 7am-5pm
Training: May 8th-25th 2018 (paid) Holidays: May 28th, July 4th, 5th & 24th 2018 (not paid)
- Coordinate projects and logistics with crew, IIC staff and public land managers.
- Manage all operations of specific crew efficiently and independently.
- Ensure proper clothing, equipment, essentials, and tools are brought daily.
- Maintain program structure and ensure goals and risk management procedures are met.
- Create a fun and meaningful learning/work experience for youth members.
- Communicate tasks clearly and effectively in both oral and written manner.
- Adhere to all rules and regulations as stated in the IIC Intern Guidebook.
- Maintain daily log and photo documentation of crew, projects, and work completed.
- Complete in good standing a paid three-week field training period working alongside fellow crew leaders and land managers.
- Must be at least 21 years or older and possess valid driver’s license.
- Crew leaders should have solid outdoor leadership skills, teaching ability, a vigorous work ethic, outdoor/natural resource experience, a positive attitude, maturity, and flexibility.
- Have a clean record and able to pass a background check.
- Preference given to candidates with Wilderness First Aid cert. (or greater), Leave No Trace training, chainsaw cert. and prior conservation or land management crew experience.
- Go to: http://iicinternships.com.
- Click on “Apply Today” then download and fill in application.
- Email application, cover letter, and resume to: Danny Strand – IIC Crew Manager
Danny Strand * email@example.com * (435) 586-1982